Saturday, August 15, 2009

G.I. Joe Impressions




(Yes, I have been putting this off all week.)

Flawed, predictable, and completely over the top, but not lacking in entertainment. Channing Tatum and Marlon Wayans were very much outclassed and out of place, though. The other actors weren't so bad, but I really would have at least liked to hear the names of their characters more than once. The plot is pretty much what you could have guessed if you looked at any of the posters or saw any one of the commercials: lots of CGI, explosions, and dry dialogue.

What annoyed me most about the film, however, were the terrible segues they used to transition us into flashbacks. At one point a character practically turns to another character and says "hey, you look like you have an interesting flashback for us to see." It was just bad.

Also, the film makes it pretty clear that we can expect to see a sequel in the near future. In fact, it could probably be argued that the film was made as a test to see if the box office would bite or not. I seriously expected an Iron Man-esque "maybe next time" moment.

I am awarding G.I. Joe two and a half stars out of five for being the shallow action film I expected it to be, but not losing my interest. All in all, it wasn't the worst movie I have seen this summer... for what that's worth, at least.

No comments: