Tuesday, August 5, 2008

VG Cats Gets "Political"

Well not exactly "political," but if you're knee deep in gaming then you'll have to agree with me. The latest page of that funny little webcomic we know and love addresses an important point that has arisen since Nintendo's recent excursion into the world of demographics: has Nintendo abandoned their "hardcore" fans in the pursuit of capturing a wider group of buyers?

While I wouldn't necessarily use the word "abandoned," I would kind of have to say that they have moved away from their "hardcore" audience to a degree. Now Nintendo has always been a first party system, that's just a fact. Games such as Super Mario Bros., and The Legend of Zelda (among others) have always been big sellers for the company and fans around the world have enjoyed them for many years now. In recent times, however, big first party releases have become noticeably few and far between. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing good third party games on the Wii and DS, but being constantly bombarded with gimmicks and whatnot is really starting to get to me. Now I know that Nintendo can't be expected to just shell out game after game, but I would at least like to know a bit more about what is ahead. I mean at E3 recently the biggest thing Nintendo had to say was that new Mario and Zelda games were "in the works." That's all they had to say about that but they could show me extensive footage of their new Wii Sports Resort game. I am still an avid Nintendo fan boy (and will probably be for life) but I am going to need to see a few changes very soon or I am going to be pretty... uhh... disappointed! You know how much Miyamoto hates disappointment don't you? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Alright, below is the comic in question from above. So I put it at the bottom so you'd have to read for a change? Do something about it.

No comments: