Monday, March 23, 2009

Twilight Impressions



With all of the popularity surrounding this film, and the book series it is based off of, I did expect to see it at some point. Whether it be on an airplane, at some sort of private screening, or just at a friends house. Did I want to see it? Not really. I read a small portion of the first book while sitting around in Barnes & Nobles and dismissed it as soon as I started to realize that it was reading like a trashy romance novel. Seriously, the supernatural elements in the series are really just inserted into the plot to add a layer of "otherness" to the romance, which is apparently attractive to a large portion of our species. Now I consider myself to be somewhat of a romantic, but Twilight is just too gushy for me. There's no subtly in any form. Stephenie Meyer went to no real lengths to research any of the mythology behind what she was writing about and that, to me, is the real travesty behind the series.

But I digress. As much as I hate the series and the popularity it has garnered, I found a small level of enjoyment in the film. Perhaps it was just the fact that actually seeing real people attempt to act out the book was utterly amusing to me, even if the acting was extremely shallow (though that isn't really surprising given the source material). Or maybe it was the potential I saw for the series to be good if the writer just did some research and cut out a lot of the needless romance and irrelevant events (yes, that is a reference to the baseball scene). Whatever it was, I did enjoy it.

I think what bothered me the most about the film were the sporadic shots and uneven pacing. The director should have made a much more conscious effort to make sure the camera didn't just do whatever it wanted and to get things moving quickly. There was just too much time spent doing nothing. We don't need that kind of realism in a fantasy film.

I am awarding Twilight two and a half stars out of five for its interesting concept, but poor follow through.

No comments: