Friday, March 20, 2009

The Decemberists Play Their New Album in Its Entirety at SxSW



So I have been a huge fan of The Decemberists for some time now (they have held strong as my favorite English speaking band), so when they release new music I am no small amount of overjoyed. The Hazards of Love is the band's fifth album, their second under Capitol Records, and features a host of new sounds and styles from the indie rock superstars. But that's enough about the album itself for now (I plan on doing a full impressions post when I receive my copy), because the reason why I am posting this is to draw all of your attention to the fact that the band played the entirety of the album, in order, at South by Southwest 2009.

Yes, the band, along with Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond and Becky Stark of Lavender Diamond, hit the stage in Austin around 1 a.m. this past Thursday and played through the entirety of the fifty-eight minute album. The performance included numerous costume changes and elaborate set designs in an effort to keep with the narrative theme of The Hazards of Love. You can listen to the full performance, which includes two old favorites at the end, here at npr music's site. The page also offers a bit more info as well as a few pictures from the show. I have listened to the full one hour and twenty-two minute live podcast and I must say that this is far beyond what I expected, which is really saying something. Enjoy everyone and be sure to check out the album on iTunes now or wait for the full release March 24th!

No comments: