Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Wrestler Impressions



I heard a lot of good things about this film prior to seeing it and I can definitely say that I was not disappointed. The Wrestler, while being fairly downbeat and depressing, still has that little spark of life in it that refuses to go out. Mickey Rourke and Marissa Tomei did excellent jobs with their characters who, after realizing that their peak years have finally past, are forced to face a world that has changed while they weren't looking. I especially liked the ambiguity of the ending. It really gave the audience a chance to make a choice regarding the fate of the characters. Truly the perfect touch.

My only complaints about The Wrestler are that it ran a bit to slowly at times and I think that Randy's past probably could have been fleshed out more deeply. There were a handful of references that I would have really liked to know more about.

I am awarding The Wrestler four stars out of five for its passion and likability, but vague and sometimes slow story. If you haven't seen it, and don't mind a bit of nudity, then you should definitely see this film when you get the chance. It's a real show stopper. Haw haw haw.

No comments: