Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You Can Take the Slumdog Out the Slums...



Photo thanks to cbc.ca

But you better give him an Oscar for the trouble. Eight Oscars to be exact. Yes, Slumdog millionaire won an Oscar for almost every category it was nominated in (though I think Best Song was unfair because it got nominated twice there and "Down to Earth" from Wall-e was amazing).

Overall, I really liked Hugh Jackman's Oscar setup this year. It was definitely a lot more intimate, with previous Best Actor, Actress, etc. winners coming out to introduce each nominee, but it still had a few big performances. The only problem I had with the show was that they didn't show a clip of the roles the Best Actor, Actress, etc. nominees were nominated for. I think that really took away from the gravity of their nominations. It was kind of like they decided to say "I hope you saw the movie" to all of the viewers.

So yeah, the Oscars are done (I went four out of five on my predictions even though I still think that Mickey Rourke deserved Best Actor) and we can all go back to watching films just because we want to and not because of all the buzz. Right?

No comments: