Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rachel Getting Married Impressions



I have been searching desperately for this film since I first heard buzz about it late last year, and I am glad that I was finally able to find it. At first glance, Rachel Getting Married may seem like your run-of-the-mill dysfunctional family drama, but you quickly realize that it is much more than that (I won't spoil anything though). The characters were entertaining and the music was diverse and vibrant. Anne Hathaway did an excellent job as Kym, which has earned her a nomination for Best Actress, and everyone else did commendably. You really start to feel a connection with the different families as the film progresses and I really love it when a film is able to do that.

My biggest problem with Rachel Getting Married was that some of the drama just seemed too forced. Like the director took a syringe full of it and injected it into any appealing vein. That is an easy way to grab an Oscar here and there, but it is a bit of a disservice to the viewers. Also, there were far too many unresolved issues which culminated in a lukewarm and dissatisfying ending. I just find that to be so terribly disappointing for such an attention grabbing film. Oh, and I found the overzealous camera work to be a bit distracting at times. I understand that they really wanted to make us feel like we were in the action, but sometimes a handcam approach just isn't necessary.

I am awarding Rachel Getting Married three and a half stars out of five for its involving plot, great acting, and fantastic score, but less than colorful ending. So yes, the film was still a great watch for the most part and I encourage you to see it.

On a side note, the Oscars are airing this February 22nd at 5PT/8ET for those few of you who have forgotten. I have yet to see The Reader, which is up for a number of awards, but I plan to correct that either tomorrow or Saturday. Hopefully I will be able to get out my picks for the Big Five categories before the show. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jarred said...

Good Luck Jarred! I hope to see your picks. And that movie sounds interesting.