Thursday, February 5, 2009

Doubt Impressions



There really isn't much to say here. I really wanted to enjoy Doubt, but I just couldn't. I thought that Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Meryl Streep, and Amy Adams all did excellent jobs, but the film failed to garner any genuine interest within me. I waited and hoped for some sort of interesting twist, or graphic fight, hell I even waited for an angry mob. Did I get any of those? Nope. Not even a hint of them.

I am awarding Doubt three stars out of five for its great acting but lack of intrigue. In the end this film really just felt like an Oscar grab more than anything else... and it was successful in that respect. Though I really don't think that Viola Davis deserves her Best Supporting Actress nomination. She only had ten or so minutes of screen time, and only a few minutes of dialogue.

2 comments:

mge said...

I liked the film, but I think the weak point of Doubt's script comes at the end. I was quite evident for me that Aloysius was having doubts... there was no point in ending the film with her ultra-explicit confession.

The acting was great, but in the Best Supporting Actress category I put my bets on Penelope Cruz. Viola Davis was good but Penelope is terrific in Vicky Cristina Barcelona (she is a great actress when she gets dialogues in Spanish, her mother language)

Nice blog, visit mine too ;)

Itchitaka said...

I agree, I felt that Lady Aloysius' ending dialogue was a bit over dramatic. It almost felt silly in my opinion.

I have yet to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but I am definitely looking forward to doing so.