Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are Impressions




Alright, since I took such a long time to put this up, I will get right to the point. "Where the Wild Things Are" was a wonderfully imaginative, beautifully scored, and tastefully dark film. The characters were also likable in their own ways and the cast did an excellent job with their respective roles (especially Max Records, of course). While some of the plot was a little messy (especially before Max travels to the land of the wild things) I believe that the film was an excellent adaptation of the relatively small source material.

Now, for what surprised me. First, the depth. Now, I am sure that you expected something more than ten sentences out of a feature length film, but "Where the Wild Things Are" really makes you think. The film takes the idea of the "wild things" and instead of just making them creatures created by Max's imagination, they each become representative of different aspects of his life. I won't go too much into this, though, because it will be more enjoyable if you form your own opinions on the matter. I mean, who am I to ruin a good conversation?

Another thing that surprised me was the rather depressing route it decided to take. Max is not really escaping anything when he goes to the land of the wild things. Rather, he is forced to come face to face with all of his conflicting feelings. This gives way to the large number of underlying domestic issues that lurk behind the film's main events. I honestly question the idea of marketing this film to younger audiences, and apparently the box office agrees me as only a small percentage of tickets sold were child tickets.

I am awarding "Where the Wild Things Are" four and a half stars out of five for being deep, interesting, and very well done, but having a slightly messy start. If you haven't seen this film yet, you should probably reflect on your current lifestyle because you have either become separated from your sense of imagination or you
are overworked. Either way, you are cheating yourself out of a great movie experience.

No comments: