Friday, October 30, 2009

Creeps



So in honor of it almost being Halloween, here is a poem that I wrote around this time last year. Enjoy.


Creeps

There's a monster hiding 'neath my bed,
And it fills my heart all full of dread,
For calm leaves fear in its stead.
A creeping in the night.

I trouble my guardian for a light to borrow
So I may push back this gripping sorrow.
"Save all complaints for the 'morrow!"
A shrieking in the night.

How coldly she does reject my plea;
She says an orphan should never cry, you see?
Bad children are locked away without a key.
A squeaking in the night.

But what if this ghoul is so full of spite
That it pops up here for a bite?
The very thought is such a fright!
A weeping in the night.

To look under my cot, I wouldn't dare,
For its malicious gaze, I couldn't bare.
Eyes of the Styx and keeper of its fare.
A reaping in the night.

Yes, I will wait here for the sun to rise
And cast away this night's cruel guise,
But you can never truly know in what tomorrow lies.
A creeping in the night.



Copyright © 2008 Jarred Lee

No comments: