Monday, July 14, 2008

Final Fantasy XIII To Be Released On 360



For all you crazy people out there who didn't know this, E3 kicked off today with Microsoft's briefing conference. While I found the majority of the briefing to be lackluster, Resident Evil 5 slated for March '09 and Gears of War 2 to be released whenever, the heaviest hit came when Square-Enix head Yoichi Wada stunned the crowd by announcing that the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII would be releasing on the Xbox 360 as well as the Playstation 3. This is huge news. HUGE. This would be the first Final Fantasy from the main series to be "released" without Playstation exclusivity since Final Fantasy VI, which was adapted to the Playstation from the original Super NES version.

Now I'm not exactly sure how this happened... well that's not true, I know exactly "how" it happened and it rhymes with "wuge wums of woney." What I really want to know is how Sony allowed this to happen. Final Fantasy has always been a big seller for the company in the past, and this news coupled with the Xbox 360's recent price cut could mean big trouble for them. I suppose we'll just have to learn more before we can make any true predictions as to how this will play out, but I fear Sony isn't going to like the result.

Anyhow, below I've included the new trailer for the game, and I must say that I'm fairly impressed. I'll report later when more of the actual gameplay for FF XIII is shown. For now, however, just enjoy the trailer. Nintendo and Sony's briefings are set for tomorrow around 9 A.M. Pacific. It will be interesting to see what they have in store, respectively.

1 comment:

Mere said...

Oh...
My...
God...
...
*steals someone's game console* >.o