Sunday, June 7, 2009

Up Impressions



So I have to admit, when I saw the first teaser for Up late last year I was wildly skeptical. And after I saw the first trailer, I was even more skeptical. I just couldn't help but wonder how Pixar was going to keep me entertained with a grumpy old man in a flying house for an hour and a half. Now I know they could do it, I mean they are Pixar, but it just seemed like a bit of a stretch even for them. With that in mind, the fact that I really enjoyed this film is very surprising to me.

Up has a great cast of characters and was considerably funnier than Pixar's last two films, even though it has a few unbelievably sad moments. Another plus for the film was that it made use of the new Disney Digital 3D system and looked truly amazing while doing so. The message the film conveys is also much more substantial than the past few films, though perhaps not so deep, because I honestly can't think of anything more true than "you are never too old to have new adventures."

I am awarding Up four and a half stars out of five for being funny and good looking, but lacking a bit in depth. I would have liked to see a few more characters as well. Anyway, Up is a fantastic 3D adventure that you definitely shouldn't miss out on.

No comments: