Friday, November 13, 2009

Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) Impressions



"Pirate Radio," as it is called in the US (I saw the UK version), is an excellent film that really captures the passion of the time period. The acting was great, the characters were unique and "colorful," and the soundtrack was perfectly chosen. And when I say perfectly, I mean that if you don't end up looking for one of these songs and the history of the band behind it, then you obviously watched the film on mute.

The only problem I had with the film was that the "villain" never makes a direct appearance to the other main characters. He is always shown at a separate location, delegating responsibility to his spineless underlings. I really would have loved to see the main characters mince words with him.

I am awarding "Pirate Radio" four stars out of five for being funny and well "scored," but lacking in a few areas. Critics have criticized the film for its two hour+ running time and the American version is going to be shortened accordingly (even though the original cut was longer). Honestly, I hate that this is being done because I wish it were longer. You really start to feel like you're on the ship yourself and leaving it so soon kind of hurts a little bit. Don't listen to the critics, see this film!

No comments: