Monday, November 30, 2009

2012 Impressions



The trailers did not do this film any justice, which is probably why I was so surprised by the fact that it was reasonably enjoyable. Sure, some parts of "2012" were as utterly ridiculous as the trailers made them out to be (like escaping an active volcano in an RV), but when you cut those parts away you are left with a very decent film.

What I liked most about "2012" would most definitely be the characters. Now, I don't think any of the actors did a particularly amazing job, but you have to give them some credit for portraying these often loved, often hated people. You will be happy when some characters get what is coming to them and scared when it looks like a character you are fond of is about to die. This aspect really saved the film because the conflict was kind of lackluster because there wasn't really much anyone could about their plight besides try to survive and make long, philosophical speeches. This is kind of why I have never been a fan of disaster movies, besides "The Poseidon Adventure" and maybe "Twister," but I will digress.

I am awarding "2012" three and a half stars out of five for having interesting characters, but still suffering from many of the failings akin to the disaster film and having some absolutely unbelievable moments. Honestly, I can't wait for Universal Studios or Disney to unveil their "2012" themed ride. I mean seriously, outdriving a world ending earthquake with a limousine? That screams 3-D adventure.


No comments: