Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still Impressions



I will be very honest here, this film was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it wasn't that great either. It was actually a lot more interesting and entertaining than the original film, but that is not saying too much as the only real reason that the original received its four star rating was because of the fact that it was "ahead of its time." There just wasn't too much that could be done here without diminishing the integrity of the original film.

On the plus side, the acting was decent, Keanu wasn't a terrible choice for the role of Klaatu role because he was playing a character that was actually supposed to be emotionless and a bit confused all of the time, and the story was passable, albeit fairly boring overall.

On the minus side, it really seems as though Jaden Smith is just receiving roles like this due to his parent's popularity, though he played a spoiled brat very well. There were multiple times where I was calling for his character to be beaten by his step mother. Also, the characterization of the American military was a little too exaggerated. I know that we would probably go in armed to the teeth, but I really don't think we'd be that foolishly aggressive.

I am awarding The Day the Earth Stood Still three and a half stars out of five because although it was a decent film, there just wasn't that much to work from to begin with.

**On a side note, the "exclusive" Wolverine trailer that was shown before the film was very very disappointing to me. I thought that it looked far too over-the-top and even kind of cheesy. I really hope that it shapes up before the release.

No comments: