Thursday, November 6, 2008

Max Payne Impressions



Arg, I am such a slacker when it comes to things not related to school work! Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Anyway, wow it has been a long time since I did a movie review! I suppose this review is as good enough as any to start back with because the things wrong with this movie were blatantly apparent.

The first comment that I must make is that this movie was very poorly drawn together. Scenes were just lumped on top of one another without any consideration for transition and time framing. I honestly could not tell if days, weeks, or months passed within this film.

My second complaint about the film is that none of the characters save Max, and possibly the tattoo parlor guy who just so happened to have a doctorate in Norse mythology, were in any way strong. There were various cameos, most of which were unnecessary, and Mila Kunis' character, who would have been seen as the film's "leading lady" under any other circumstances, was shallow at best. According to the movie's description, Kunis was supposed to be playing the role of an assassin who desired to avenge the death of her sister, but nothing she did in the film suggested that she was an assassin at all. A black market dealer, maybe, but definitely not an assassin. I didn't have too much to complain about with the acting, aside from Mark Wahlberg's usual stiffness, though.

Whatever I have said about this film up to this point does not detract in any way from the one thing it had going for it: the visuals. This film was visually stunning and the hallucinogenic sequences were fairly spectacular. The action sequences were spot on with those of the game as well.

So now that everything has been said, it's time for a little doing. I am awarding Max Payne two stars out of five because even though it was visually stunning, it failed in almost every other aspect. This is a great movie if you're with friends, looking to kill some time, and don't mind a few angry glares from the people you have upset with your copious amounts of laughter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once Again Spot On with the movie review. If I didn't know better I would say you were stealing the reviews from my brain. Although I know better because my ideas wouldn't have sounded so good.