Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Burn After Reading Impressions



I have to say, this film is without a doubt the best movie I have seen in quite some time. Now I will forever be a sucker for black comedy (you should click the link person who I will refrain from naming but who knows who he is), but this film was exceptional even beyond that aspect.

First of all, the acting was absolutely terrific all around, though Frances McDormand was definitely the shining star here. She was of course followed very closely by Mr. John Malkovich, even though I am somewhat biased here because I always enjoy it when John Malkovich gets the chance to play John Malkovich. Secondly, and probably most importantly, was the story's very well organized format. I really enjoyed how each of the characters were shown both together and apart as their individual experiences slowly came together, though I found the scenes where the CIA head was trying to piece the events together a bit too blatant in their satire.

My only gripe with this film was that the ending was far too abrupt. After creating such humorous and interesting characters, I would have liked to see a proper sendoff of the ones who managed to survive all the craziness.

I am awarding Burn After Reading four and a half stars out of five for its dark humor and interesting characters, even if the ending left a little to be desired.

No comments: