Monday, March 8, 2010

Shutter Island Impressions



I had high hopes for "Shutter Island," it being a Scorsese film and all, and I can happily say that I wasn't completely disappointed. The film was well shot, well acted (Leonardo DiCaprio was especially fantastic), and will keep you intrigued from beginning to end (though I found the ending to be fairly disappointing, personally).

My biggest issue with the film had to be the editing. I can appreciate the fact that "Shutter Island" wants to play with your mind, but changing filters at random times for seemingly no reason and random breaks in shot consistency is far too self-indulgent. Scorsese tries so hard to convey the instability of the film that you are left wondering if what you have seen was purposely done or an if a few inconsistencies slipped past the editors.

I am awarding "Shutter Island" three and a half stars out of five for being well acted and intriguing, but for having distracting (an often annoying) editing work and a somewhat disappointing ending. This film is definitely worth the watch, even if you only want to see how things pan out, but don't feel bad if you want to wait for a rental.

No comments: