Monday, December 7, 2009

New Moon Impressions



Yet again I am forced to overcome my desire to be subjective and rate this purely on it's own merits. Sure, I'd like to say that I believe the Twilight series is a prime example of what is wrong with literature today. Sure, I'd like to berate this film for its nearly unbearable cheesiness... but I won't. I am sure you have already done plenty of that yourselves. Anyway, let's get to it.

Overall, New Moon felt kind of pointless. It seemed to be more of a teaser for the rest of the series than a sequel to the first film. The majority of the "interesting" characters were gone within the first half hour and all we were left with was... Bella. Well, the Werewolves too, I suppose, but Bella absorbed the majority of the screen time. I would say that she overacted in most of here scenes, but that would really be too nice. She was just... bad. I also found Jacob to be just as annoying, with his bipolar moodiness and questionable loyalties, but at least he had the Werewolf thing to fall back on. By the hour mark I actually found myself wanting the poorly crafted "vampires" to reappear because I never realized how much of the over-the-top teen angst they were protecting me from.

Still, I just couldn't shake the moderate interest that formed during the first film. You may scoff, but I have to honestly say that New Moon never bored me. Whether I was laughing hysterically or writhing in pain, I still wanted to know how things played out. So yeah, I guess that's the closest to a compliment as I can give this film.

I am awarding New Moon two and a half stars for being... well... bad, but still slightly interesting. I was going to give it half a star less than Twilight... but at least the Volturi were kind of interesting (they came the closest to the image of traditional vampires). There, done. I am now going to watch "Let the Right One In" to get this out of my head. It will be just my luck, though, if the American remake features sparkles though. I may be forced to move if that happens.

No comments: