Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek Impressions [Possible Spoilers]



First of all, for those of you who haven't looked into the film, this is not a prequel story. This is J.J. Abrams acknowledging that he was indeed behind the hit television series Lost. On that note, if J.J. Abrams had tried to approach this as a prequel story then I really don't think it would have worked out as well as it did. What he did here allowed the audience to kind of separate these characters, and the film itself, from the originals. Because of that, I was more keen to acknowledge that the actors did great jobs with their characters, the story-telling was interesting, and the effects were phenomenal.

My only problem with the film, and no I didn't really notice the lens flare effect that people keep talking about, was that I never really felt a sense of danger. The characters came up with a plan, did it, and everything worked out fine. I thought the fact that this wasn't really a prequel story would open up the chance to kill off characters that would have been "untouchable" otherwise. It honestly seemed like J.J. spent too much time thinking about how he could show off the characters and not enough time thinking about how the problems they faced could be solved.

I am awarding Star Trek three and a half stars out of five for being fun and exciting, but lacking a feeling of danger and the idea of time travel being a bit too easily accepted. It is an exceptional film that I would definitely recommend not only to fans of the series, but to anyone who enjoys a good sci-fi adventure.

No comments: